Monday, October 4, 2010

Inspiration

We are a people who are moved by inspiration.  What sets each one of us apart is by what inspires us.

For some it is location; a landscape, an ocean, or serene surroundings.  For me, it is the seasons of life.

The wisest man who lived, King Solomon, said, "To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under the heaven."  I have learned recently that just as creation expresses its' beauty differantly with each changing season, we too, express beauty in our willingness to embrace change with every season of life.

I am inspired to express my emotions and experiences of adversity to others through my writing.  I can take the pain I am feeling in the present situation and create the future outcome through plot, characters, and whatever twists and turns I would like to transpire to bring forth my desired outcome.  By doing this I have a creative outlet to help me see my current situation in a differant perspective and I am inspiring the reader to have a quasi-experience. 

Today, we go to the movies and choose our emotion -  do we want to laugh and see a comedy, do we want to cry and see a romance, or do we want to hold our breath in fright and see a suspense/thriller?    And, it is no differant with our reading choices.

Why?  Because we want to be moved.  We are a people who are moved by inspiration.

As an artist success to me is when the art inspires others to feel the same emotion it was created in.

English Author, Joseph Conrad said it best, "My task is by the power of the written word is to make you hear, to make you feel, and before all to make you see.  That and no more - and it's everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment